Quanta Technology is an independent technology, consulting, and testing company providing business and technical expertise along with advanced methodologies and processes, to utilities and others in the power and energy industries. Our mission is to provide unparalleled value to our clients in every engagement across the value chain by using advanced software and hardware, laboratories, and custom tools for a holistic approach to practical service and the most insightful thought leadership in the industry.
At Quanta Technology, our people define us. We value a company culture based on core values of diversity, teamwork, respect, accountability, innovation, and entrepreneurial spirit. Not only will you get the chance to work alongside industry thought leaders, but the opportunity to become a thought leader yourself. We’re focused on creating an environment committed to employee growth. That is achieved by ensuring a quality workspace, allowing flexible schedules, and through our training & mentoring programs. Quanta Technology is committed to an equal-opportunity workplace.
Quanta Technology is a wholly owned subsidiary of Quanta Services (NYSE: PWR), a member of the S&P 500 and the largest specialty engineering construction company in North America, serving energy companies and communication utilities around the world.
The position of Principal Consultant is an important technical position within Quanta Technology and is reserved for people with technical skills and the ability to support projects. A Principal Consultant is encouraged to start building a strong industry presence and aim at becoming a recognized expert in their area in the future. Responsible for leading a team of engineers and providing tactical advice to the clients at the manager or engineer level, these individuals must be able to perform tasks related to technical or economic calculations related to their field, with no supervision.
The Risk Analytics Principal Consultant at Quanta Technology will work in a multi-disciplinary, entrepreneurial environment. Using skills and understanding of power systems, provide real-world impact for our clients in the power & utilities industry with their most pressing challenges with energy transition, climate risk & resilience, infrastructure financing, energy analytics, and digitalization, among other things. The consultant will influence many of the recommendations our clients need to positively change their businesses and enhance performance.
- Evaluate and identify customer’s risks and vulnerabilities in the power and utilities industry, including those associated with climate change and extreme weather events, changing regulations, and aging infrastructure.
- Utilize advanced data analytics tools and techniques to collect, analyze, and interpret data related to energy production, renewable energy adoption, and risks related to climate change and natural disasters.
- Collaborate with engineering and operations teams to enhance grid reliability and resilience in the face of climate shocks and natural disasters; Identify weaknesses and develop strategies for system improvement.
- Collaborate with various business and practice areas, including asset management, grid architecture, investment planning, and more, to integrate climate risk management strategies into our customer’s operations and strategic planning.
- Perform and deliver consistent results within a pre-determined scope of work, including the hours assigned and delivery date.
- Elaborate the scope of work and hours of investment for tasks planned for other engineers.
- Perform the review of complex consulting problems and contribute to the solution.
- Assist in writing proposals.
- Develop project management skills while supporting projects.
- Begin developing contacts to generate projects.
- Present individual and overall Quanta Technology competencies and offerings to customers.
- Follow Quanta Technology processes, strategic directions, and vision.
- Keep abreast of related technical developments in the field.
- Mentor and guide junior consultants and engineers in the team, providing technical leadership and promoting a culture of excellence and continuous learning.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Industrial, Mechanical, Civil, or Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Finance, or Economics
- 3 years of relevant experience in the power and utility industry
SKILLS & SYSTEMS
- Specialization in risk analysis, reliability engineering, or survival analysis in energy infrastructure
- High level of interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively in a diverse and inclusive workspace.
- Working knowledge of Python, SAS, and R
- Deep knowledge of catastrophe (CAT) modeling
- Demonstrated aptitude for risk analytics.
- Working knowledge of MS Office products including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Ph.D. in Industrial, Mechanical, Civil, or Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Operations Research, Finance, or Economics
- Experience in climate risk modeling, actuarial modeling, or stochastic modeling.
- Understanding of disaster risk management or insurance solution concepts
- Experience developing/validating supervised and unsupervised machine learning models.
SKILLS & SYSTEMS
- High level of business acumen, entrepreneurial spirit, and soft skills required for client-facing roles.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to explain complex analytical concepts to people from other fields.
- Knowledge of programming in SPSS and MATLAB
- Practical experience or theoretical knowledge of climate models and energy transition frameworks
Quanta Technology has offices in Raleigh, NC, Markham, ON, Lombard, IL, and San Clemente, CA. We offer hybrid employment that supports a blend of in-office and remote work.
Working conditions are normal for a professional office environment. Work may require overnight national and international travel.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. The employee may be asked to perform other job-related duties as required.
At Quanta Technology, we offer a challenging and rewarding work environment where our employees are encouraged to grow and develop their skills. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all individuals and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected status. If you are interested in becoming a part of our team and possess the required qualifications and experience, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.