Quanta Technology is an independent technology, consulting, and testing company providing business and technical expertise, along with advanced methodologies and processes, to utilities and others in the power and energy industries. Our mission is to provide unparalleled value to our clients in every engagement across the value chain by using advanced software and hardware, laboratories, and custom tools for a holistic approach to practical service and the most insightful thought leadership in the industry.
At Quanta Technology, our people define us. We value a company culture based on core values of diversity, teamwork, respect, accountability, innovation, and entrepreneurial spirit. Not only will you get the chance to work alongside industry thought leaders, but the opportunity to become a thought leader yourself. We’re focused on creating an environment committed to employee growth. That is achieved by ensuring a quality workspace, allowing flexible schedules, and through our training & mentoring programs. Quanta Technology is committed to an equal-opportunity workplace.
Quanta Technology is looking for mid-level to senior-level experienced engineers, to join our growing Transmission consulting practice. The role requires performing power flow modeling and a broad range of planning analyses based on knowledge and expertise of power system principles. The candidate is expected to contribute towards the successful completion of a range of consulting projects focused on Transmission planning studies involving Steady State, Short Circuit and Dynamic Stability, Generator and Renewable Interconnections, Public Policy, TPL Compliance and, Economic and Market analysis.
- Perform transmission planning analysis including reliability planning, and interconnection studies to analyze the impact of proposed generation expansion, retirements, and net zero renewable targets among others on the transmission system.
- Perform Generation Interconnection studies, prepare study reports per ISO/RTO/Utility requirements and present findings at stakeholder meetings.
- Support Renewable Integration activities to perform siting analysis, identify new opportunities to interconnect and work closely with Clients in preparing and submitting interconnection applications in various markets throughout the country.
- Perform a wide range of planning analyses for Grid Reliability, TPL Compliance studies, FERC Order 1000 and Public Policy Windows analyzing various system conditions and arrive at recommendations for greenfield and brownfield transmission solutions based on various build-out configurations.
- Participate in industry activities and keep abreast of market developments and ongoing changes related to Transmission Planning.
- Support lead identification and proposal activities to meet business development goals.
- Familiarity with PSCAD software is a plus to build models and support interconnection requirements.
- Familiarity with PROMOD or GridView software is a plus to perform market pricing analysis, congestion, and curtailment evaluation and LMP basis risk analysis.
- Project Management: Manage budget, schedule, and quality, work closely with external and internal resources to ensure successful completion of projects.
- Team support: Versatile team player, excellent oral and written communication skills, mentors junior engineers and works towards mutual team goals.
- Project Coordination: Act as Team or Project lead and coordinates Project activities with other team members.
- Client Focus: Focuses on the needs of internal clients (project team leadership) while attempting to gain an understanding of the external client’s main interests and drivers.
- Risk Awareness: Identifies technical, practical, and economical project risks.
The ideal candidate is willing and able to travel to client locations and industry meetings, up to 25% depending on the assignment
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or another related field
- At least 5 years work experience in a transmission planning function at a utility, ISO, or consulting firm
SKILLS & SYSTEMS
- Experience with Steady State, Transient Stability, and Short Circuit analysis at a minimum
- Expertise with PSSE, TARA and Aspen software
- Working knowledge of programming skills such as Python
- Familiarity with PSCAD, EMTP is a plus
- Familiarity with GRIDVIEW, PROMOD, GEMAPS, Plexos is a plus
- Knowledge of RTO/ISO requirements and processes
- Excellent communication, presentation, and facilitation skills
- Strong teamwork, interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with clients at engineering and management levels
- Aptitude for critical and analytical thinking as well as the capacity to accept out-of-the-box solutions
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering or another related field
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Experience with Project Management in a professional consulting or electric utility environment
Quanta Technology has offices in Raleigh, NC, Markham, ON, Lombard, IL, and San Clemente, CA. We offer hybrid employment that supports a blend of in-office and remote work.
Working conditions are normal for a professional office environment. Work may require overnight national and international travel.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. The employee may be asked to perform other job-related duties as required.