This position will be responsible for the conceptual and primary design, modeling, analysis, and laboratory testing of Distributed Energy Solutions/Systems including microgrids, energy storage-based systems for non-wire alternatives, captive power plants, and grid automation applications. The successful candidate should be able to design and analyze Protection and Control (P&C) systems, distributed control systems, distribution automation, and system interconnections.
- Develop conceptual design of project-specific distributed energy solutions (with focus on microgrids and energy storage) to meet customer requirements
- Perform transient power system studies and distribution systems analysis
- Develop and verify transient and real-time digital models of electric distribution systems including power conversion systems
- Work with micro-processor relays and prepare setting/configuration files
- Work with other team members to integrate the real-time model with P&C equipment
- Prepare test plans and perform Acceptance Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) Testing
- Collect, analyze, and document test results
- Prepare project reports and deliverables (including work process description)
- Participate in development of project proposals, scope of work, and effort estimate
- Effectively engage with customers to clarify requirements and present completed work.
- Participate in preparation of technical papers to be presented at conferences and other venues
- Masters or higher degree in Electrical Engineering with specialty in Power System Engineering
- Five (5) years of experience in design, study, and analysis of North American electric power systems
- Working experience with power system software tools such as PSCAD/EMTDC, EMTP-RV, RSCAD, CYMDIST, SynerGi, and ASPEN for modeling and impact assessment.
- Knowledge and involvement in power system studies – transient, dynamic, and steady state
- Knowledge of power system phenomena and contingencies in transmission & distribution systems
- Ethical and professional business manner in interaction with team members and customers
- Strong communication skills including technical writing and presentations
- Technical skills to execute projects, identify opportunities, and write proposals
- Familiarity with transmission, distribution, and smart grid standards (IEEE Std. 1547, 2030 series, P2800, etc.) and electric system codes.
- Familiarity with communication protocols and architectures in electric power industry (specifically, IEC61850, etc.) is preferred.
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages (Pythan, C++, etc.) and/or IEC 61131-3 programming standard is an asset.
- Customer focused; open to accept new challenges and share ideas
- Knowledge of field experience with system commissioning and testing
- All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, although the priority is given to US residents.