DistribuTECH Conference and Exhibition
February 5 - 7, 2019 New Orleans, LA, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center
Visit us at booth 5043
A number of our industry experts will be delivering tutorials. We invite you to review the schedule below and please come and visit us at our booth number 5043.
UU 205: Applying Synchrophasor Technology to Distribution System Operations
Room: 263 Monday, February 04, 2019: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Quanta Technology LLC
Vice President, Strategy & Business Innovation
Quanta Technology LLC
Today, distributed Energy Resources (DER) combined with microgrid deployments and new customer service demands are fundamentally changing the way medium-voltage distribution systems and networks are planned, operated, controlled, protected, and managed. This course will explain and categorize the industry drivers, technical requirements, design, and specification approaches for new synchrophasor-based monitoring, control, and protection systems for electric power distribution systems.
Students will learn about how synchrophasor measurement technology, now widely adopted in electric power transmission systems, can be applied to challenges brought by these changes in distribution system operation.
Learning objectives and specific skills that attendees should learn by taking this course are the following:
- The changes occurring in the operation of power distribution systems, and their impact on planning, design, operation, automation, control, and protection.
- Synchrophasor measurement technical basics and their applications in transmission and distribution systems.
- Use cases for monitoring, automation, control, and protection of distribution feeders, systems, and microgrids.
- How to identify where synchrophasor measurements can either enable new distribution system functions or enhance existing applications.
- Benefit-cost analysis approach for prioritization.
- Equipment design, system architecture, and data communications solutions.
- Distribution system case studies showing practical application of synchrophasor technology for monitoring, control, and protection.
- Guidance on how to proceed with conception, development, and deployment.