AUTOMATION NEEDS ANALYSIS & IMPLEMENTATION PLANNING
Develop a coordinated, cost-justified and defensible plan for transmission and distribution system automation improvements. A typical engagement includes:
- Identify current and anticipated business issues
- Select prospective T&D automation functions to address system issues
- Identify short- and long-term improvement opportunities
- Assess existing facilities, infrastructures and operating practices
- Develop a conceptual architecture
- Do cost/benefit analysis
- Develop implementation strategy
This can be part of the overall Enterprise Process and Technology Integration effort.
Planning for Emerging Technologies – Identify and plan for short-term and long-term infrastructure improvements needed to support emerging technologies, such as Smart Grid (e.g., advanced automated sectionalizing and restoration devices, adaptive controls), distributed resources and advanced storage devices, Plug-in Electric Vehicles, Wide-Area Monitoring and Control (WAMPAC), etc.
Procurement, Implementation & Installation Assistance – Support acquisition of products and services for implementing the approved strategy. Provide project management, design review, testing and commissioning of the selected products.
Post-Implementation Assessment – Evaluate observable benefits achieved through actual system operation against the predicted benefits and recommend improvements.