Senior Engineering position in Advanced Technology Integration – Design, Integration and Testing of Control, Automation and Protection Systems for Emerging Technologies
Position Summary: The primary responsibility for a successful candidate in this position will be implementation, integration and testing of technology deployment for emerging renewable energy applications, power electronics and advanced protection and controls (P&C) schemes for electric utilities. The position requires hands-on experience and previous engagements in development and troubleshooting of P&C systems in the field or as part of integration process and support of real-world deployment. The candidate must have experience with designing, programing, and integration of control and automation devices, and SCADA systems from various North American vendors, such as: SEL (e.g. RTAC, AXION, SEL relays), Eaton (e.g. SMP series of products), GE (e.g. UR series, G500, GPG, …). Prior knowledge in terms of testing control and protection schemes and utilizing real time digital simulation (RTDS) is an asset. The successful candidate should demonstrate strong technical skills and proficiency in testing and integration process of utility control, monitoring and automation systems.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institute
- Minimum 5 years of industrial experience working in power consultation or utility companies with records of work experience in North America
- Industrial experience and knowledge of SCADA system, RTUs, Gateways, using control and automation tools, IEC61131-3 PLC programming languages, communication protocols in power industry (DNP3, Modbus, IEC61850…)
- Ability to read and follow sequence diagrams, flow charts and electrical drawings
- Hands on experience with integration, commissioning and testing of control, protection and automation systems for renewable energy resources at distribution/transmission systems at laboratory or field environment (BESS, PV, Wind), programing and evaluation of protective relays and IEDs
- Familiarity with industrial standards associated with distribution automation, SCADA and communications
- Good communication skills and engineering judgements
- Good ethical and professional business manner in work and in interaction with colleagues and customers
- Capable of working with minimum guidance and being self-initiative.
- Knowledge of below items are considered as assets:
- AutoCAD or similar software tool
- RSCAD/RTDS hardware in loop digital simulations
- Familiarity with Cloud-based services and solutions, Azure, AWS, …
- Knowledge of programming languages: Python, C#, Node.js, …
- Efficient customer interaction to understand their requirements and to document design specifications
- Programing and configuration of automation / SCADA devices, gateways, and RTUs
- Performing system integration, troubleshooting and testing for electric utility projects
- Design, review, and run test procedures
- Perform detailed investigation and evaluation of device to device connectivity, information exchange and operation
- Conduct tests in a laboratory environment on emerging technologies, and analyze results to provide recommendations on design adjustment or performance enhancement solutions
- Read electrical drawings and develop test setups, involving assembly, wiring, and settings and configuration of digital devices such as protective relays and automation controllers
- Prepare project reports and description of work
- Prepare project proposals, Scope of Work, and request for quotation documents.
- Working conditions are normal for a professional office environment.
- Working in customers laboratory and field activities are included.
- Work requires some overnight local and regional travel including once or twice per month job sites visits for project work with customers.