We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated Principal Engineer specializing in electric system utility processes and applications to join our Automation and Data Management Business Area. The primary focus of this position will be to lead and implement engineering solutions for the power systems industry to meet the emerging technical and regulatory challenges of the 21st century. These solutions cover the utilization of innovative automation and integration techniques to improve power system utility processes across all technical departments. The successful candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task in different roles on projects, and capitalize on the team’s skills and experience to create new solutions while mentoring others.
Specific responsibilities of the Principal Engineer include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and/or support the development and implementation of solutions required by the power systems industry.
- Use innovative problem solving and critical thinking approaches to trouble shoot challenging engineering problems.
- Provide technical expertise in the areas of power systems processes, data analysis, asset management, compliance, and protection and control.
- Specification and scoping of engineering and automation solutions to meet specific customer requirements.
- Contribute to business development efforts, including preparation of proposal and marketing materials, to support the overall vision and goals of the Automation and Data Management team.
- Preparation of technical and business documentation, including project reports, user guides, process reports, and project proposals.
- Customer liaison including in-person and remote meetings for technical and project discussions.
Qualified candidates will ideally have more than six (6) years of industry experience in consulting, utility, or development environments with proven competency in the aspects outlined in this posting.
- Undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 6 years of industry experience in consulting, utility, or development environments outside of academia (i.e. excluding any time associated with post-graduation or graduate research or teaching positions).
- Demonstrated in-depth expertise and application of power system concepts in successfully completed projects in the areas of: data analysis, process optimization and development, applications integration and automation, protection and control, and asset management.
- Knowledge of industry practices and standards, including typical utility processes.
- Experience with NERC compliance standards, including requirements, scope, evaluation, and reporting aspects.
- Industrial experience in the use of power system software and database tools such as: Cascade, SAP, Maximo, CAPE, ASPEN OneLiner, CYME, SYNERGI, or PowerBase,
- Ability to work independently in solving business problems. Well-developed analytical and mathematical skills, with strong attention to detail
- Good communication skills and comprehensive technical writing skills.
In addition to the minimum qualifications, the following skills and experience are considered assets. Candidates meeting the below will be given priority:
- Familiarity or experience with software development, including applications, practices, full life cycle support, or implementation of code.
- Experience in business development, including preparation of project proposals, scopes, requests for information, and customer liaison.
- Experience in project management, including planning, tracking, budgetary, work assignment, and customer liaison aspects.
Working conditions are normal for a professional office environment. This position requires occasional overnight regional, national, and international travel to job sites for project work with customers.