Electrical Engineering Consultant – Chicago, IL
Integration and Testing of Control, Automation & Protection Systems for Emerging Technologies
Position Summary: The primary focus of a successful candidate in this position will be to support integration and testing of technology deployment for emerging applications of power electronics and advanced protection and controls. The position requires hands-on experience and previous engagements in development and troubleshooting of systems in the field or as part of integration process support in a laboratory environment. The candidate must have in-depth knowledge and traceable track records of experience with programing and utilizing of control and automation systems, SCADA systems, and HMI software from various North American vendors, such as: SEL (e.g. RTAC, AXION, SEL relays), Eaton (e.g. SMP series of products), GE (e.g. UR series, G500, GPG, …), …. Prior knowledge in terms of design and testing of IEC61850 based control and protection scheme and utilizing real time digital simulation (RTDS) is an asset. The successful candidate should demonstrate strong technical skills and proficiency in testing and integration process of utility control, monitoring and automation systems.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institute
- Minimum 3 years of industrial experience working in industry or consulting business with records of work experience in North America
- Industrial experience and knowledge of using control and automation tools, IEC61131-3 PLC programming languages, communication protocols in power industry (DNP3, Modbus…)
- Ability to read and follow sequence diagrams, flow charts and electrical drawings
- Traceable track record of experience and completed projects in design, integration, testing and commissioning of control and automation systems, programing and evaluation of protective relays and IEDs
- Familiarity with industrial standards associated with distribution automation, SCADA and communications
- Good communication skills and engineering judgements
- Good ethical and professional business manner in work and in interaction with colleagues and customers
- Hands on experience with integration, commissioning and testing of control, protection and automation systems for renewable energy resources at distribution/transmission systems at laboratory or field environment (BESS, PV, Wind),
- Industrial experience and knowledge of SCADA system, RTUs, Gateways, advance communication protocols – using, DNP3 or IEC 618650
- knowledge of using AutoCAD or similar software tool at advanced level for preparing drawings and documentation of the designs for power system applications, as well as producing logic diagrams for control, protection and automation schemes
- Industrial experience and knowledge of RSCAD/RTDS hardware in loop digital simulations and testing, and control and protection schemes with focus on IEC 61850 and IEEE 2030.5
- Familiarity with Cloud-based services and solutions, sensors and monitoring systems
Knowledge of programming languages: Python, C#, Node.js, Firebase, …
- Programing and configuration of automation / SCADA devices, gateways, and RTUs
- Performing system integration, troubleshooting and testing for electric utility projects
- Design test procedures and perform detailed investigation and evaluation of device to device connectivity, information exchange and operation
- Conduct tests in a laboratory environment on emerging technologies, and analyze results to provide recommendations on design adjustment or performance enhancement solutions;
- Read electrical drawings and develop test setups, involving assembly, wiring, and settings and configuration of digital devices such as protective relays and automation controllers
- Prepare project reports and description of work
- Prepare project proposals, Scope of Work, and request for quotation documents.
- Working conditions are normal for a professional office environment.
- Work requires some overnight local and regional travel including once or twice per month job sites visits for project work with customers.