The Distribution Systems Planner will perform capacity, reliability, resilience, and operation studies by analyzing distribution circuits, networks, and substations in steady state and dynamic domains, evaluating impacts of distributed energy resources such as distributed generation and battery energy storage systems. In addition, the Distribution Systems Planner will perform short circuit analysis to verify fault duties of interruptive equipment, and to test the sensitivity and coordination of protection schemes. When needed, the Planner will propose protective settings adjustments or design changes to ensure dependable and reliable operation. All types of analyses will be executed based on electrical engineering fundaments, aided by power system analysis tools. The Planner will interact and will coordinate work with colleagues; will also maintain fluent communication with customers to correctly interpret their needs and to provide high quality advise. Results of studies will be presented in reports and presentations to customers.
The Distribution Systems Planner will prepare long-term load forecasts to assist planning decisions, and model future load scenarios to timely determine infrastructure needs that will ensure safe and reliable operation.
Conduct power flow, short circuit, and dynamic analysis using computational tools such as CYME, Synergi Electric, PSCAD, or Aspen OneLiner
- Create new, or update existing engineering analysis models of distribution systems according to customers’ existing or proposed designs
- Develop long-term load forecasts that will reflect future system conditions
- Incorporate load forecasts to distribution system models to determine future system requirements to accommodate capacity planning projects
- Perform distributed generation and load hosting capacity studies
- Perform N-1 studies
- Evaluate the limits and performance of distribution protection systems, and recommend settings or mitigations when necessary
- Support proposal development
- Document and present results of studies
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with power systems coursework
- Familiar with distribution system and substation equipment
- Working knowledge of Python
- Ability to work in a dynamic, diverse team by demonstrating good oral and written communication skills
- Work experience with CYME, Synergi Electric, PSCAD, ASPEN OneLiner, or similar power systems analysis software tools
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering with power systems orientation or higher
- Experience with Project Management in a professional consulting or electric utility environment
Quanta Technology is an independent technology, consulting, and testing company providing business and technical expertise, along with advanced methodologies and processes, to utilities and others in the power and energy industries. Our mission is to provide unparalleled value to our clients in every engagement across the value chain by using advanced software and hardware, laboratories, and custom tools for a holistic approach to practical service and the most insightful thought leadership in the industry.
At Quanta Technology, our people define us. We value a company culture based on core values of diversity, teamwork, respect, accountability, innovation, and entrepreneurial spirit. Not only will you get the chance to work alongside industry thought leaders, but the opportunity to become a thought leader yourself. Work with the people who literally wrote the books on Modern Distribution Planning, Distribution Reliability, and Aging Delivery Infrastructures. We’re focused on creating an environment committed to employee growth. That is achieved by ensuring a quality workspace, allowing flexible schedules, and through our training & mentoring programs. Quanta Technology is committed to an equal-opportunity workplace.