Quanta Technology is an independent technology, consulting, and testing company providing business and technical expertise, along with advanced methodologies and processes, to utilities and others in the power and energy industries. Our mission is to provide unparalleled value to our clients in every engagement across the value chain by using advanced software and hardware, laboratories, and custom tools for a holistic approach to practical service and the most insightful thought leadership in the industry.
At Quanta Technology, our people define us. We value a company culture based on core values of diversity, teamwork, respect, accountability, innovation, and entrepreneurial spirit. Not only will you get the chance to work alongside industry thought leaders, but the opportunity to become a thought leader yourself. Work with the people who literally wrote the books on Modern Distribution Planning, Distribution Reliability, and Aging Delivery Infrastructures. We’re focused on creating an environment committed to employee growth. That is achieved by ensuring a quality workspace, allowing flexible schedules, and through our training & mentoring programs. Quanta Technology is committed to an equal-opportunity workplace.
The purpose of the Distribution Planning Engineer is to develop and provide technical leadership in studies, plans, criteria, specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents, performance assessments, integrated systems analysis, cost estimates, and budgets associated with the planning, design, operation, and maintenance of client electric distribution systems. They will conduct studies of distribution power systems to evaluate system performance during existing, future, and contingency conditions; make recommendations for actions to mitigate system performance deficiencies identified by distribution system analyses; and prepare reports documenting system study results, performance deficiencies, and recommending mitigating or corrective actions.
Provide consultation and recommendations to clients by studying client processes, equipment, or facilities. Provide technical expertise on client strategic, legislative, and operational decisions. Evaluate, develop, implement, and lead projects that have a significant financial and operational impact to our clients and our company. Plan, write, and perform tasks for project deliverables. Perform assignments while acting independently.
Participate in creating, updating, and applying internal/industry standards and technology in a specialized area of expertise. Participate in technical and industry societies and committees to enhance knowledge of new technologies or issues in related areas and make recommendations for new technologies and/or engineering techniques and tools. Provide detailed technical training, mentorship, peer review, and/or guidance to others.
A successful Distribution Planning Engineer will become familiar with Quanta Technology’s project structures and processes in a timely fashion. They will aim to be independently performing studies and produce good quality, client–acceptable-results, as part of a project team by their first 3 months, meeting, or exceeding billability rate targets. Within the first 6 months, the Distribution Planning Engineer will have become familiar with Quanta Technology’s project proposal processes and successfully contributed to a client project proposal. At the end of the first year, they will have developed a draft client project proposal while contributing to a draft client project report.
- Conduct power flow and fault studies using computational power flow tools such as Cyme or Synergi
- Update existing engineering analysis models with new elements and system loads
- Incorporate client-provided field data in engineering analysis models
- Incorporate forecasts of client system load growth in engineering analysis models
- Conduct hosting capacity studies
- Review and updates load projection entries
- Provide estimates of new business loads and performs allocation to appropriate distribution feeders and enters updated load forecast
- Perform system analysis by preparing load, contingency, and area studies for developing client plans for distribution system expansions and modifications
- Maintain databases and spreadsheets reflecting client’s existing transformer, switchgear, and feeder capacities and loadings
- Complete monthly loading evaluation of each circuit within the distribution system and analyzes load duration curves to determine the level of risk
- Prepare future system forecasting for Distribution Planning and individual circuits
- Perform budgetary and cost studies as required
- Oversee input, collection, and completion of monthly reliability reports and indices
- Recommend projects to reduce SAIDI and SAIFI within distribution systems and perform benchmarking
- Provide recommendations for automation technology within the distribution system to improve reliability
- Provide recommendations and decisions for standard issues pertaining to new technology and proactively evaluate methods to reduce costs, increase reliability, and improve safety
The ideal candidate is willing and able to travel to client locations and industry meetings, typically up to 50% depending on the assignment
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or another related field
- Minimum 5 years of work experience with distribution system modeling and analysis tools
SKILLS & SYSTEMS
- Familiar with distribution system and substation equipment
- Working knowledge of distribution system modeling and analysis software such as Cyme Distribution Analysis software or Synergi Electric simulation software
- Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems such as ESRI ArcGIS or Smallworld GIS
- Working knowledge of Python scripting
- Working knowledge of MSOffice products including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc
- Ability to work in a dynamic, diverse team by demonstrating good communication skills
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or another related field
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Experience with Project Management in a professional consulting or electric utility environment
SKILLS & SYSTEMS
- Strong teamwork, interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with clients’ engineering and management levels
- Strong written and oral communication skills