Senior Consultant, Advanced Technology Integration
Quanta Technology Canada Ltd. is an expertise-based, independent technical consulting and advisory services company that specializes in electric power and energy industries. We provide objective and practical solutions to our clients’ most complex challenges using advanced software and hardware, laboratories and custom tools for a holistic approach to practical services within the industry.
Quanta Technology Canada Ltd. is currently looking for a Senior Consultant, Advanced Technology Integration to join our team. You will be working at our Canadian headquarters located at 2900 John Street, Unit 3, Markham, Ontario, L3R 5G3.
This is a permanent, full-time position, based on 40 hours per week. Further information respecting the position can be found below.
As Senior Consultant, Advanced Technology Integration, you will be responsible for investigating utility applications of power electronic-based technologies for Energy Storage and Microgrids. This includes conducting medium and high voltage sensor testing and certification, and mobile energy storage design and testing.
Your duties will include the following:
- Performing transient and dynamic analysis of power system phenomena involving power electronics for applications in renewable energy, microgrids and energy storage systems;
- Designing protection systems for renewable energy, energy storage system and microgrids;
- Conducting electromagnetic transient modeling and analysis of energy storage systems for evaluation and testing;
- Providing integration support of control and protection schemes specific to stationary and mobile energy storage applications;
- Preparing drawings and design documentation for power system applications, as well as producing logic diagrams for control, protection and automation schemes;
- Reading electrical drawings and developing test setups for the assembly, wiring, and settings and configuration of digital devices such as protective relays and automation controllers;
- Testing and evaluating protection designs, grid interconnection, and plant and system level controls utilizing various simulation tools and modelling methods, including EMTP, RTDS, PSCAD, ASPEN and CAPE;
- Conducting laboratory tests on emerging technologies, and analyzing results to provide recommendations on design adjustment and/or performance enhancement solutions on behalf of our customers;
- Developing operating and maintenance standards for newly designed or reconfigured protection systems;
- Preparing project proposals, Scope of Work documents, cost estimates and progress reports;
- Meeting with customers across Ontario approximately once or twice per month and inspecting work completed;
- Supervising a team of engineering professionals and technicians, and overseeing their work;
- Training and supervising interns and students, as required.
We are looking for candidates who meets the following minimum requirements:
- Successful completion of a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5 years of experience working in the power utilities or energy sector. Hands-on experience only – will not consider experience in academia
- 3 years of industrial experience (i.e. experience working with power systems plants, substations, generation plants, and/or factories). Hands-on experience only – will not consider experience in academia
- 2 years working with high accuracy and high voltage sensors for testing harmonics and resonance measurements to support power conditioning and power quality enhancement
- 1-year experience working with IEC 61850 protocols
- Prior experience designing, evaluating and testing protective relays and power apparatus for energy storage and microgrids
- Proven knowledge of power system transient phenomena and typical events associated with faults, power quality challenges and contingency in distribution and transmission systems
- Solid understanding of North American industrial standards and best practices associated with distribution systems, renewable energy systems, power conversion systems, and protections.
- Prior experience working with North American distribution systems, renewable energy systems, power conversion systems, and protections is an asset
- Advanced-level knowledge of AutoCAD, RSCAD/RTDS, PSCAD/EMTDC, EMTP, and ASPEN or CAPE
- Demonstrated leadership skills at both the individual and team level
- Strong communication skills and an ability to interact with customers in a professional manner
- Strong ethics and sound engineering judgement
- Willing to travel to customer job sites throughout the GTA and across Ontario (approximately once or twice per month, with some occasional overnights).
Candidates who meet the above-noted requirements will be required to pass an in-house technical examination as part of the interview process.
We offer a generous compensation package which includes:
- Salary range: $83,500 to $90,000 pre annum (based on experience)
- Eligible to participate in our corporate incentive plan, with a targeted bonus calculated at 3% of base salary
- 17 days of paid vacation per year
- Extended medical, dental, disability and life insurance
- Pension and RRSP matching
- Incremental raises in accordance with standard company policies
If you’re interested in the position and meet all of the above-noted requirements, please submit your cover letter and resume through the online form above.
Your cover letter and/or resume must clearly demonstrate that you meet all of the qualifications noted above. Only candidates who meet our requirements will be contacted for an interview.
Quanta Technology Canada Ltd.
2900 John Street, Unit 3