Saman Alaeddini, Senior Advisor, Protection & Control, is a specialist in protection system modeling, energy storage technology, database management and analysis, design of autonomous systems, robotics and industrial processes. Prior to joining the company, Saman was engaged in real-world automation system implementation and maintenance through various programs at Honda of Canada Mfg., continuing education .NET programming at Ryerson University, and advanced machining program at George Brown College.
At Quanta, Saman has worked on the National Grid, ConEdison, Xcel Energy, and AltaLink Wide-Area Protection project, involved in primary and secondary CAPE modeling, sensitivity and coordination studies, and data collection and event record capturing aspects of the project. He has also been involved in design methodology and criteria for selection and calculation of protective relay settings and customized logic in Caribbean Utilities Company project.
Saman has been also involved in several pilot demonstrations of Energy Storage and Electric Vehicle technology applications Assessment, and system impact studies of high level of renewable energy penetration in utility grids. Project experiences include, but not limited to, various technologies including Solar PV, wind turbine, hydro power generation, as well as diesel and/or biogas engines.
Areas of Expertise
- Power Systems Protection (Wide Area Coordination and Control)
- Renewables (System Integration and Automation)
- Computer Modeling and Design – CAPE, ASPEN, PSCAD/EMTDC, RSCAD, SynerGEE, CYMDIST, OPEN DSS, AutoCAD, Solidworks, CATIA, Mathworks, Matlab-SIMULINK, RSCAD, SynerGee
- Autonomous Engineering & Robotics – PLC, C#, C++, VB, C, Machine code, Solid works, Autocad
Experience & Background
- Power System Automation and Protection - Senior Engineer (2009 – Now)
– Quanta Technology (Canada/United States)
- Project Leader, Paint Plant 2 Engineering Group (2008 – 2009)
– Honda of Canada Manufacturing (Canada)
Accomplishments & Industry Recognition
- Assessment of Utility-Scale Energy Storage Technologies – Paper Pending
- "Automated Evaluation of PRC-023-2 Requirements", Georgia Tech Protective Relay Conference, Atlanta, Georgia (May 2013)
- Cognitive Assistant Smart/Automated Cabinet Thesis
- B.Sc. Mechatronics & Robotics – University of Toronto (Spring 2010)
Saman can be contacted at email@example.com