Carl Wilkins, PE, Senior Director of Distribution & Asset Operations, Principal Advisor, has extensive experience in the electric utility industry serving in a variety of managerial, research and consultative roles working with electric and gas utility companies. Combining experience in engineering, sales, marketing and project management with applied technical skills, he brings a wide array of talents to the Asset Operations team. Carl managed several projects related to transmission and distribution storm hardening assessments and emergency preparedness plans for large electric utilities. Carl has led benchmarking studies on transmission maintenance and construction practices. His team performs renewable energy grid integration studies for wind and solar PV projects.
Prior to joining Quanta Technology, Carl served at Advanced Energy as the Director of Utility Services where he managed the senior management relationships and the delivery of energy efficiency and renewable energy services to electric utilities. He has worked with utilities in areas of Smart Grid, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, policies to address climate change and environmental sustainability.
Carl was the chief architect in the design, coordination and development of North Carolina's green power program, NC GreenPower, the first statewide green power program where all electric utilities in the state agreed to collaborate and use one marketing campaign.
Areas of Expertise
- Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency
- Asset Operations
Experience & Background
- Thirty-seven years of experience in the electric power industry
- Director, Utility Services, Advanced Energy Corporation (2000 – 2008)
- Manager, Large Commercial Accounts, Duke Energy Progress (1976 – 1999)
Accomplishments & Industry Recognition
- NC Energy Policy Council (2014)
- NC Governor's Energy Advisory Team (2013)
- NC Governor's Scientific Advisory Panel on Offshore Energy & Energy Infrastructure (2011)
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE) NC Task Force on Offshore Energy
- BSEE – NC State University
- Executive Education – Harvard Business School
Carl Wilkins can be reached at email@example.com